Last summer, you were invited to fill out a survey on FinTech. As a result of your participation, we are now better informed on your challenges, your perspective on the FinTech reality and its impacts on our profession.
Thank you to all those who took the time to participate in the survey.
Interestingly, 73% of respondents believe FinTech will lead to job losses in the finance industry, but few feel their own jobs are threatened. Even though half of respondents think their jobs will be affected by the increasing popularity of FinTech, they’re confident they’ll be able to adapt, and 79% of them doubt their roles will be replaced by new technologies within 10 years.
About 10% of CFA Montreal’s 2,500 members took part in the survey, which showed that respondents also feel they should have a better understanding of artificial intelligence (61%) and blockchain (35%). Meanwhile, 47% believe that they should learn programming (several possible answers).
Other survey highlights
Interest in FinTech is still in the early stages of development among members
- 75% of respondents attended none or only one FinTech event in the past year
- The topics of interest in order of preference are artificial intelligence, blockchain, data analytics and technology applied to portfolio/asset management
- More than 75% of respondents would have difficulty with programming, but 47% consider it important to develop these skills
- 9% of respondents hold cryptocurrencies
- 17% are interested in them
- 24% would like to learn more
CFA Montreal FinTech Events
As a follow-up to the survey and to better meet the needs and interests of its members, CFA Montreal will present a series of events on FinTech, including:
- November 29, a luncheon on the theme: The FinTech Revolution & Digital Reputation Management, an event that will present key aspects of the FinTech revolution and offer a unique opportunity to better understand the issues and how to adapt to this new reality.
- February 7, 2019, Rendez-Vous FinTech, which will bring together several experts in artificial intelligence and blockchain in the afternoon. In the evening, participants will hear Mark van Rijmenam, renowned speaker and author of the book Blockchain: Transforming your Business and Our World.
Book Launch: Secure Retirement by Jacques Lussier, CFA
Interview with Louis Morisset, CEO of Autorité des marchés financiers